--
Rishabh Manocha
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/rmanocha
**********Your Quote for the day**********
Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink.
--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it.
--His reply

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> LinuxLingam wrote:
> >
> > "The NMT has been made functional since October last year, though work
> > is on to improve the software. The CBI has “officially” used it in four
> > to five cases related to organised crime and terrorism.
>
> Two or three things ...
>
> 1. A lot of email is sent "in the clear" - plain text.  Stick a packet
> sniffer of some sort in there and set it to sniff all connections coming
> from whichever IP the monitored party is logged in to.  Quite simple.
something like ethereal which is a very good packet sniffer...all kinds at
that...wireless,LAN and dial up...they could also use tcpdump to test some
connections.

> 2. "sneak into a computer"?  Maybe use a keylogger - download it onto
> the guy's machine ... god knows, most users are dumb enough to click on
> anything they get and install it.  Then even his key passphrase is
> compromised.  Of course, the government does have this completely
> unenforced, and unenforceable rule, that users of strong cryptography
> must deposit a copy of their keypair in escrow ...
something like sebek which is a keylogger acting over a honeyd.this module
is compiled into the kernel(i know about the linux version) and does not
show up in the listins of the installed or loaded
modules(www.honeynet.org).

> 3. And maybe, as the government already gets one of the guy's passwords
> (the one he uses at his ISP) without too much trouble, they have a very
> good starting point when they start to try guess his other passwords.

i am pretty sure they r able to crack passwords but i dont know how easily
they will decrypt pgp encrypted messages or ssh connections.

Rishabh