On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 09:15, Sudev Barar wrote:

> > use sodipodi, or inkscape, with sketch. and cinepaint.
> [SNIP]
> Thanks LL.

you are welcome. in a few days will also publish a series of tutorials
on these software, under the FDL, so you can point these to people too.

> That is the point. The guys around are so used to Coreldraw that the
> incoming files and outgoing files have to .cdr
> This situation is quite like office applications...I still need to
> interact with the world so need to be able to read and write in M$
> formats :-(

looks like this is a professional setup. they have to master migration.
that means 'dropping the idea of using coreldraw' unless coreldraw is
GPL-ed and works under linux, too. :-)
or try running it with some emulators like crossover or whatever.

usually, i find people are too lazy to just 'save as eps' and get on
with their work.

also, a good migration strategy is to keep legacy work in cdr, and
create new material in the new software, using sketch for
inter-application transfers until the migration is complete. this is not
going to be entirely smooth. so change their mindsets to adapt to
change. it is a human factor problem.

> > [personally, i don't think corel was ever a great graphics package, it
> > just became 'rather popular' in india due to certain 'condusive
> > circumstances'...]
> Yeah and that is how most of the software has become ingrained in to
> usage.

ironic how usually the best of breed software never became the really
popular packages. always the second or third or in some cases, the
bottom of the heap took on the marketshare.

> Anyways will try to demo sodipodi etc. to this friend and see if he can
> be converted to Linux cause.

sodipodi, inkscape, and sketch together please. else they'll shy away,
and don't make it a complete replacement. then it works.

:-)
LL