On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 17:37, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> LinuxLingam wrote:
>

> > sodipodi, inkscape, and sketch together please. else they'll shy away,
> > and don't make it a complete replacement. then it works.
> >

> I am a bit confused of the difference between these programs. Could you
> elaborate?
>
> - Sandip

sodipodi is a ground-up software for vector illustration, much like
adobe illustrator or macromedia freehand. (but not like corel, which is
a large soup of several programs). sodipodi's native fileformat is svg,
which is cool.

inkscape is a fork of sodipodi, for the sake of better implementation of
svg, some programming standards, etc. they share code and developments,
but the fork will be obvious probably 6 months to 9 months down the
road. already, inkscape has a slightly better interface and approach.

sketch is similar to the above. it has a few extra features, and can
handle converting files back and forth between eps, svg, adobe
illustrator, etc. this makes it suitable for people living in a
platform-agnostic world. coreldraw supports adobe illustrator's formats
too. so this is a go-between.

more, if you work as a designer in realworld on these software.

hth

:-)
LL