----- Original Message -----
From: "vivek khurana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: [ilugd] ilug-d's first ad-hoc, on-the-fly supercomputer

> --- linuxlingam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > thanks gaurav jain. er... could your infrastructure
> > handle about 100
> > computers and its cooling? network, backup, etc? do
> > you have existing
> > computers (with cdroms) that could also be plugged
> > into this?
>
>  Thanks again Guarav. So, now when we are oing ahead
> with the cluster thingy, it will be a good idea to
> have an informal meeting of all the volunteers. How
> about having a meeting this weekend at some prime
> location??(at someone's house or some restaurent/park
> etc.)
>  I am proposing for an informal meet, so that we can
> decide the future course of action along with he
> benchmark etc. I had a chat with mayank jain(a
> volunteer) last night, he is downloading cluster
> knoppix, we can buy cd from him.
>
> Regards
> VK

a brainstorming session is required before the event.
lets plan asap.

also, i would suggest to use
1. standard linux distro with good mpi library (i am fond of lam) with
network boot
2. a bootable cd with preconfigured settings

but then i am not very sure how many machine volunteers bring will have
network boot option?
lets start making a small inventory for this.