anil bindal wrote:

We  have lots of non-technical employees who need to create
files/directory shares on their red hat linux machines.

Appreciate help on following

a) Apart from SAMBA, is there any other alternative which is easy to use
and user friendly ?

Samba will good enuf for you if you can't go for ftp based sharin since it s a little tiring... so Samba is your man I mean solutions
The solutions goes simple. Let them use SAmba to Share files with Windows Machines and Nfs for Unix, You can even try 'fishk ' if you can starts ssh on every machine.
Anyway for non techies sharing files you can use webmin to configure both NFS and SAmba so swat won' be needed.
If you are bent on using samba no prob it will work fine since the users will no be accessing the files directly.
But Remember one thing if you want users to be able to give the users access of creating and deleteing shaes you will need to give them root access which is not a good idea for non-techies specially.
So better is you create the shares on every maching manually or through webmin, but once down coninue with the same method everytime , and if you use a gui well leave some documentaion fr the next guy so he can know what you did.

Happy Tuxing

b) What do generally list admins recommend and use on this list for easy
sharing ( non-command line  - pref. GUI ) of files/dir on Linux PC to
other LAN Linux/solaris/windows PCs..

rgds
anil