Raj Mathur wrote:

    Kunal> [snip]

    Kunal> Secondly, I wanted to know about swap space allocation.  I
    Kunal> have read that the swap space should normally be twice the
    Kunal> size of RAM.  I currently have 256 MB RAM, so i have a swap
    Kunal> partition of 512MB.  But I am planning to upgrade to 1 GB
    Kunal> Ram.  What swap space should I Allocate Now??  Should it be
    Kunal> 2 GB or less?

The ``swap twice size of RAM'' is a rather old concept, dating from
the days when RAM was 32 or 64MB, processors were 66MHz and disks
transferred at 1MB/s.

A very interesting was on the lkml about swap. Kerneltrap has it here Linux: Is Swap Necessary? (http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3202 )

Another interesting discussion on the lkml is about the swapiness of the system. Linux: Tuning Swappiness (http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3000)

Through the proc interface anyone needing to adapt kernel swap behavior to their own requirements. To tune, simply echo a value from 0 to 100 onto /proc/sys/vm/swappiness. The higher a number set here, the more the system will swap. 2.6 kernel maintainer Andrew Morton noted that on his own desktop machines he sets swapiness to 100, further explaining:

"My point is that decreasing the tendency of the kernel to swap stuff out is wrong. You really don't want hundreds of megabytes of BloatyApp's untouched memory floating about in the machine. Get it out on the disk, use the memory for something useful."

--
Raj Shekhar,
System Administrator