On Monday 20 Sep 2004 3:12 am, Linux Lingam wrote:
> a colleague just migrated to debian sid from windoze. is considering
> moving from dialup to sify broadband. wants to know if sify works okay
> with gnulinux. area: saket.

http://broadband.sify.com/master_pricelist.html

Your friend has too much money or what? Sify is the biggest ripoff in India
right now. They might give you a bit better service, but look at all the
conditions!

Shared 64 kbps+ *   Unltd   1month     1100 (inclusive of taxes)
Best for simple mailing and text chatting. Not for commercial use.
* Subject to maximum usage of 6 hours per day. For usage beyond 6 hours, one
day in validity will be reduced, for every incremental 6 hours.

With debian he will need to download updates all the time. But look at Sify's
download caps! 128kbps has a princely bandwidth cap of 750 MB! Which at
128kbps you will cross, in say, half a month??

What is sad, is that no Internet provider in even the capital of India
provides even usable value-for-money Net services.

I am using the absolutely pathetic Hotwire Internet services.

Dishnet has a pan-indian reputation of:
a) being all listed on spam blocks. So you cant use their mail services
reliably.
b) being constantly voted nationwide as one of the ISPs with the highest
downtime. (Hotwire being among them too)

Spectranet is a ripoff

Sify is a ripoff

MTNL sucks badly. Inexplicable sudden stoppage of traffic even though you are
connected. I have heard of bad reports of their DSL services which are
bestowed only to a chosen few, with others waiting after "booking"  a
connection. All this from an organisation whose new motto is "our difference
is transparency".

Reliance dialups on wireless is ok. But really how can you work worry-free on
dialup all the time? You will always get that urge to "disconnect when you
are not using". And the country is still waiting when Reliance comes
nationwide with the "convergence" offerings on fiber.

Touchtel/Hathway believes in only operating in "affluent" sections of the
city.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Work: http://www.puroga.com        *         Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3

I know what "custody" [of the children] means.  "Get even."  That's all
custody means.  Get even with your old lady.
  -- Lenny Bruce