Mithun Bhattacharya wrote:
> Hardware: Pentium II 266 MHz, 96MB RAM
>
> I need to make this a gateway - routing, firewall and potentially squid
> too.

Don't put squid on such a low spec machine. It has a relatively large
footprint. The 'net is slow enough as it is. Don't slow it down even
more. In any case, you won't be able to get a decent cache going,
because it doesn't support large drives. I set up squid to use at least
  15GB on the drive, but I have a large number of clients using it.

Why not just use it as a firewall and put a transparent proxy behind it.
It does not have to have a public IP address. In my opinion, go for
Debian. Why? Coz I like it, that's all.

HTH,
Tom