Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:

>Hassath, let us discuss this without getting bitter. I understand the
>frustation, and I do agree with AMS that atmosphere in the LUG meets is
>something that will make women (or children or any elderly people)
>uncomfortable.

Sandip this bitterness - which you see - is not being able to get an
important issue across. Check out the number of typical male mails
coming on this discussion - and thats whats happening to women day and
night for all their lives. Instead of asking Hassath not to be bitter
lets try and not let it get to that situation.

>Like someone recently said - nobody tries to make the environment
>women-unfriendly.

But is there an attempt to consider that what exists might anyway be
unfriendly.

See I don;t want to pitch in - as part of the list I too am to blame for
not have said / done anything and lain silent - complacent. Its some
woman activists job. Sorry

>However, while I agree that the atmosphere is not right, I
>also have to bring it to your attention that this is a chicken and egg
>situation too. Because there are no girls or women or children generally at
>these meets, people have conversation in a manner which would otherwise not
>be acceptable in front of other sections of the population.

The list does have some women and maybe some men who do find the
language of the mail list insensitive as well. There is an audience that
reads the mails and the stuff is that not enough - does it have to only
physical presence of a certain class of people around that dictates
behaviour. If so then many of us are leading multiple lives and many in
hiding. Shouldn't our lives be open - like open source - clean but buggy
and transparent but powerful.

>We need help on this from women like you.
>Please help us "clean" out all our official announcements on Freedel, for
>instance.

Why is the onus on women to help "clean up" - if we understand the issue
is it not up to us to make the effort.

>Just as we need people with experience in dealing with physically challenged
>persons, to sensitize us about building accessible technology, we need help
>from women professionals like you who deal with such issues everyday, to help
>make ILUGD more "friendly" to all sections of the population. (Uh. huh. Bad
>analogy -> might be taken otherwise by certain people. I am not trying to
>make any insinuation about women being challenged in anyway. ... Sigh. See
>how difficult being politically correct all the time is?)

Again why somebody with experience - why make someone else responsible
for the clean up - is this clean up going to be restricted to the list -
thats one way . But ... the sensitivity has to be across the board - if
a man !!! is cleaned up because of rules in the ILUG thats one thing -
that means he is free to be insensitive is other parts of his life.
Ultimately it won't work.

The issues that concern this list are the same concerns that exist in
larger society. Maybe a few cannot raise all the issues all the time.
But all of us certainly can.

>- Sandip

ram