----- Original Message -----
From: Guntupalli Karunakar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sunday, September 25, 2005 1:14 pm
Subject: Re: [ilugd] Acers laptop ads

> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 06:47:19 +0530
> Sudev Barar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On 9/25/05, Ritesh Raj Sarraf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote: [SNIP]
> > > Something which is preferred by you isn't at all preferred by me.
> > > When I bought my laptop, it came shipped with Mandrake Linux,
> > > which I'm sure you like, but wasn't my preferred choice. So what
> > > do I do, say that the company
> >
> > Which laptop was that? AFAIK Compaq does ship with mandrake but it
> > has pcdos pre-installed and you are given a sealed pack Mandrake
> > thatyou install atyourown risk with no support by them.
> >
> > [SNIP]
> > > BTW, whatever distribution ACER shipped with its laptop, does it
> > > cover support ? If yes, bug them.
> >
> > That is what I have been doing in my instance. But Limpus Linux is
> > really a small CLI distro that even if they supported would not get
> > things done for me.
>
> Naah, see
> http://www.linpus.com.tw/ - they dont have a stripped down CLI distro
> product (except for embedded stuff!)
> This is probably some custom stuff they did on Acer demand, with
> Acer specifically demanding a stripped down thing - & not give a full
> desktop.
> As a company Acer could well have a full installed & configured
> Linux desktop on the laptops, Linpus etc would do them a good job at
> getting things preconfigured. But Acer didnt want that whatever their
> commercial or persuasive reasons.
>
> Karunakar
>
> --
Most certainly every company deserves its independence for its commercial
decisions together with the responsibility. As a pre-installed product, the
customer must demand full demonstration of each and every hardware component
working with the pre-installed environment. There is no point with a
pre-installed environment which does not support full featureset of the
hardware on which it is running. It would be worth an investigation whether the
customised Linpus CLI does indeed support all HW features on the motherboard.

Moreover as a community we do have a right to point out the anomalies and
portrayal of a wrong image by Acer. Acer could have given optional packs, with
support available from third party suppliers or channel partners for the OS
environment. They could have clearly demonstrated full certification with some
of the leading Linux distributions, leaving the support option to the consumer.

Anand Shankar