> We have a HP 1005 Laserjet printer - which supposedly speaks only PCL 5
> (????).
> The driver being used is pbmtozjs.
> It is setup as a local printer , using a USB connection. Though both a
> parallel port and a USB were tried.
> Vivek Iyyer tried updating the firm ware to something recent , but even
> after that the printer does not work. What he exactly tried I don't know.
> Further , thinking that there may be a problem with the printer, we
> tried installing it on a "Wincedows ninetee8" machine, and It worked well.
> Our Distribution is Ubuntu Hoary.

Ram,
There are few printers from HP that run under Linux but need
"initialising" when powered on. HP1005/1010 are two such printers. I
do not remember the URL for this information but linuxprinting.org
site gave me the work around and as long as the printer remains
powered on it will keep working with whatever driver you load.
You have to initialise the printer by giving a cat command and a
download srcipt. I can look up thursday if you do not find any
solution. Today being holiday at office. Alternatively google for this
pon mailing list, I remember (vaguely) posting this solution a year or
more back.

--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux