--- "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
[...]
> okay babel babe here we go
>
> but I would rather like to learn to use unicode
> fonts and stick to them
>
> so will have to get the indic people to help me on
> that

Kenneth had you on the right track. With a properly
set up Linux system, you can enter text from your
English keyboard that is mapped to Hindi in one of
several different ways. However, the stored text is
automatically in Unicode, so that the file is portable
to other Unicode supporting platforms.
  Don't know which version of Ubuntu you have, but if
you are running a recent version of GNOME, you should
be able to right-click on the panel, choose "Add to
Panel", and select the "Keyboard Indicator" applet.
This will bring up a little white square on your
panel,
probably labelled "us". Right-click on it, and choose
"Open Keyboard Preferences" which brings up a dialog
window. Select the "Layouts" tab, and you can add up
to four different layouts from the list in the right-
hand pane. After setting the preferences, you can
cycle through the keyboard layouts for the active
window by repeatedly clicking on the "Keyboard
Indicator" applet. It also allows you to have separate
layouts for each window. Of course, you will get
meaningful results only if you have a Unicode Hindi
font installed (should be available in Ubuntu), and
if the application that you are typing in supports
Unicode (try gedit).

Regards,
Gora

  • ... Gora Mohanty
    • ... विवेक ऐय ्यर விவெக ஐய்யர் Vivek Iyyer
      • ... [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        • ... Nishant Sharma
        • ... Abhay
          • ... [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    • ... Gora Mohanty
      • ... Abhay
        • ... विवेक ऐय ्यर விவெக ஐய்யர் Vivek Iyyer
        • ... Sandip Bhattacharya