Gora Mohanty wrote:
> Please don't go back, or suggest going back to such
> retorgrade solutions. This kind of non-standardized,
> do-your-own-thing in the name of expediency is
> exactly the reason why Indian language computing is
> in the sorry state that it is. Besides, Shusha is
> "non-free", and ties one in to the particular font.

I don't know what your views are about Hindi computing and I am no
authority to speak about it either but imho Hindi in itself is like an
orphan child who has no one to take care of.

When I mention Shusha (I am no developer, nor any marketing person for
the fonts/firm involved), I just want to make more and more people to
move on to writing in Hindi without going through the pain of keymap. I
myself started to do lots of my correspondence with government offices
in Hindi after I found Shusha and the main reason was the ease of typing.

When I first started to write in Hindi (around 2 years back), I also
wanted to stick to unicode. I even went out to buy a Hindi Keyboard and
the only manufacturer I found to be making them was TVS but none of
their dealers had them readily available. On writing to them directly, I
was told to pay in advance and wait for 15 days to get the same.
Solution? Print out the keymap then look for each letter first on the
paper and then on keyboard which took really long to get any kind of
work done.

If it takes 2 hours for you to write one letter in Hindi because you are
conforming to unicode then every "end-user" will get frustrated and move
on to the easier way of writing the letter in English. Let people move
on to Hindi first...feed them the standards later. Trying to do both at
the same time achieves nothing but frustration and repelling users away
from Hindi.

That is just my opinion. You are free to have your own.

Regards,
Abhay Kedia

        • ... Kenneth Gonsalves
          • ... [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            • ... Kenneth Gonsalves
            • ... Gora Mohanty
            • ... विवेक ऐय ्यर விவெக ஐய்யர் Vivek Iyyer
              • ... [EMAIL PROTECTED]
              • ... Nishant Sharma
              • ... Abhay
              • ... [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  • ... Gora Mohanty
    • ... Abhay
      • ... विवेक ऐय ्यर விவெக ஐய்யர் Vivek Iyyer
      • ... Sandip Bhattacharya
        • ... Abhay
          • ... Sandip Bhattacharya