--- Abhay Kedia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That situation imo exists because it is too
> expensive for them to get more
> desktops and then get them networked.

Really, you jest. Expensive? Buying an assembled PC
for about 10k, which would be much more flexible and
powerful than a thin client, and then spending maybe a
1000 bucks on networking. pffft, expense isn't the
problem  here.

> Once the thin
> clients become popular
> (which Google can achieve by its level of marketing)
> then we will surely see
> more SOHO's with networking and thin clients.

What kind of marketing are we talking about here
anyway? TV ads exhorting people to go buy google pcs?
I mean, having nirodh ads on TV is one thing, and
asking people to buy thin clients just because
google's made them is something else...

> fact it can also help
> institutions like schools and colleges who want
> their students to access only
> limited amount of content which could be already
> present on their servers.

Whoa whoa. Hang on there a minute. "HELP"? I'm not
sure how old you are, but do you even know the sorry
state of affairs in colleges and schools in the
country? Not only will they not allow their students
to experiment with computers, they will impose severe
penalties on those who have the temerity to do so.
Talk about open source and the hacking paradigm. You
think MIT would be the mecca for hackers if they'd
left their PDPs and other machines to the technicians,
who had the power to expel people for displaying an
interest in computers?

Fact is, people graduating today - a large majority
anyway - have no idea about computers save the fact
that word processing is the same as MS Word,
presentations mean Powerpoint, and viruses and trojans
are something we just have to live with - things which
can't be dealt with. How many people who use windows
(students, so called people who 're aiming to be the
techological elite of tomorrow) even know how to use
the registry in order to see if they might have a
trojan on their machine? Ok, so maybe I've exaggerated
a bit - but this goes for most cases.

And considering this state of affairs, you've got
potential computer science majors using terminals
which restrict them even further? Ok, so citrix
machines and the like are pretty popular - I've used
them myself, and done a rather large number of
(*interesting*) things with them - much to the concern
of a large number of sysadmins. But when you want to
find out if you can break the encryption and capture
keystrokes off someone else in your lab, and maybe
surprise them - thin clients are going to be
hardpressed.

> Not having enough bandwidth or speed of our "so
> called" broadband connections
> will be detrimental only to plans of using content
> right from the internet
> but then how many work are we doing like this
> anyways and by the time such
> functionality reaches to the masses you will be
> having uncapped connection
> with good bandwidth (at least I hope so) :)

Er. What? Try some punctuation there..

Viksit

--
Viksit Gaur

viksit[dot]gaur[at]yale[dot]edu
http://viksit.com

Just because you have a mind like a hammer doesn't mean you should treat
everyone else like a nail - Terry Pratchett