From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Mithun Bhattacharya
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 6:30 PM
To: Linux Delhi
Cc: Linux India Help
Subject: [ilugd] NAS idea

I have this brewing in my head for quite sometime and was wondering
whether anyone was ready to try it out. I currently cant due to lack of
resources but if it works you could probably earn some glory/money
whatever.

Basically I am looking at a Linux based NAS solution. Unless I am
mistaken most NAS systems are costing 5-6 times the cost of the
hardware involved.

If my understanding is correct a simple NAS is:
1. A storage space available over the network
2. Fault tolerant
3. Expandable
4. Transparent
5. Compatible across OSes

The way I see it is I need the following to get it going
1. Gigabit network
2. RAID 1/5
3. LVM
4. RAID and LVM can be configured to handle hot swap
5. Share disk space using NFS/SAMBA

Of course it runs Linux or I wouldn't be talking here. There are two
things currently lacking off the shelf.

1. A cabinet to hold/expand hard disks at least 4 hard disks to begin
with
2. A web based application to manage the RAID and LVM setup.

I am hoping I am making sense here and would like to solicit feedback
as to the viability and interest in trying out the setup.

Mithun