On 11-Jan-07, at 9:09 PM, Shakthi Kannan wrote:

> No idea on the database.
>
>> wouldn't it be better to just give it a better interface for
>> searching
>> with concerns for privacy addressed? Of course, we might have to
>> add more fields
>> in member area to provide for locality etc.
>
> If you feel that it will be easier to implement and use, then sure, by
> all means.

looking at this:
http://www.linux-delhi.org/cgi-bin/anCMS/members.cgi?
action=sortDirectory&sortOn=state&sortOrder=1&filterField=&filterText=

one can sort by state - not by locality. Also, 5000 odd members are
shown - if we go by chennai poll, only 5% would be active members -
250? Sounds high. So culling from the database would not be of much
help. Unless a locality field is added to the db and members are
requested to fill in the locality field. Most of them would have
forgotten their passwords anyway - so I think the wiki would be
easier. What would give a filip to the idea is if at least *one*
local group appeared which started meeting in a tea shope 2-3 times a
week.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves