On 2/7/07, Anupam Jain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Wouldn't you call making money from software being "in the software
> > > business"?
> >
> > making money how? that is the question. I make money buying and
> > selling shares and the money i make depends on my knowledge of the
> > share market. You make money buying and selling shares and the money
> > you make depends on manipulating the market and insider trading. Are
> > we in the same business?
>
> On 2/7/07, Sudev Barar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Anupam did you attend LA? If yes then your opinion - unbiased - on
> > what M$ did to promote the theme - Linux Asia - is welcome. If not
> > then in line with your snipped comment "your opinion is not worth much
> > .. is it?"
> >
> > Appreciate the fact that there is whole lot of community involved and
> > we are open to LiFY's view point in spite of obvious hurt caused by
> > their action to something the community hold dear. If you do not hold
> > OSS and Linux dear to your heart then also we will welcome you to
> > express your opinions but do not crap on our face and expect us to be
> > silent.
>
> Again I somehow feel that we have this image of Microsoft that we love
> to believe in. Shouldn't we react to Microsoft-the-company's-actions
> instead of Microsoft-the-company-period? Targetting Microsoft perhaps
> gives us a big target to fight, but only when fighting *for the cause*
> is not good enough. For me the cause is bigger than Microsoft and it's
> trying to muscle in on Linux events is only a sign of good things. I
> would not lose sleep over it.
>
> I was not in Delhi during that time and could not attend but I plan to
> do it the next time unless someone gives me a good reason to do so
> otherwise. If something negative happened in LA this time do let us
> know. It would be a very sad thing to see no participation from ILUGD
> for reasons *unknown*.

becoz you missed the ILUGD meetings..!

i think the roots of community being skeptic about LA were set in the
past events itself.. & personally after seeing 2006 one.. &
participating in .ORG mela fiasco, i too share the mood...where you
could feel the impression that here the community is secondary!..
 thankfully there wasnt a .org mela again (whatever their reasons)..

when an event of big scale is to be organized the planning has to be
well in advance..& engaging with the community has to begin early on &
not at last minute.. with less than a month left for the event!

Karunakar