On 2/7/07, Parthan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anupam Jain wrote:
> > see nothing wrong with letting MS parade the choices it has for offer
> > and us parading what we have. If MS pays us good money to hold such a
> > showoff and that too *on our turf* then what is the problem?
>
> Why should MS parade its products on a conference named *Linux* Asia. Is
> it a conference like 'Computer Asia' or 'Technology Asia' or 'Software
> Asia' ? what products that MS exhibited there has relation to Linux.
> They are the first and biggest ones again Linux and what they are doing
> in a so called Linux Conf ?
>
> What interest does MS have in sponsoring a event which is all about
> something they think as their foremost threat to their future existence ?

Let's not have any illusions. Microsoft joined in the party for its
own personal selfish gains. It would be illogical to think otherwise.
But the point is did succeed in harming the community? The FOSS
community is (or should be) such that it cannot be sneaked upon.
Everything is open and everyone's opinion counts. What happens when
Microsoft joins a Linux event? They pay big money which helps more
such events to be held in the first place. They advertise their
products to a decidedly pro-Linux crowd who isn't probably going to be
influenced any ways (and if someone does get influenced then we need
to get our act together). Basically they have the money to try
anything, and they are trying everything, even such things as
advertising in Linux magazines and sponsoring Linux events. We know
how futile these things are and we can just sit back and enjoy the
popcorn.

We can't stop MS from trying to undermine Linux. So I'd rather have
them trying sneaky things that do us more good than harm, than to do
things that only harm us.

> Why are
> > we worried unless we believe that Vista is better than Linux and MS is
> > better than FOSS and so on and so forth.
> >

> Why you want to compare so crap with Linux ? And why should such things
> be displayed in a place which should have been all about Linux or at
> least something related to or connecting with Linux.

Cmon are all sponsors necessarily connected with Linux? Most companies
sponsor events because they want advertising, not because they believe
in the cause. Why should Microsoft be any different.

Regards,
Anupam Jain