Happy Holi to Everyone!!

Yesterday Atul Jha and myself had a meeting at my place for planning
the content and structure of the proposed ezine. Placed below are
brief record of discussions, so that we get opinions and contributions
from all of you before the project takes off.

1. Objective: To provide a central reference point for FOSS related
content of high journalistic standards which community can leverage as
a resource to achieve the higher objectives of FOSS movement.

2. License: The contents of ezine are intended to be re-used by one
and all in their FOSS efforts, whether at individual level or
institutional. We too intend to reuse or refer to similarly intended
electronic / physical resources. As such, Creative Commons Attribution
Share-alike 2.5 license seems to be most appropirate. Legal Pundits
may kindly opine, before we get flamed.

3. Format: Content Presentation is proposed to be HTML,
Printer-Friendly HTML and PDF. Content submission is proposed to be
either offline-ODF or through a Web based mechanism which will
generate ODF for the editors. The intention is to be able to make
content submission as easy as possible and also have the input
resources in a standard format so as to be able to make standard and
print-ready PDFs without much effort. Opinion is sought on how to have
a system which covers the Word-Processing-to-DTP-OffsetPrinting cycle
and is most optimal. Multimedia content is not currently intended for
hosting immediately, but should be FOSS compliant whenever we are
ready.

4. Content Framework:

[Not necessarily in order of importance]

a. Guest Editorial: Intention is to seek an editorial quality
contribution from outstanding leaders and achievers from among FOSS
community members.

b. email Interview: To seek opinions and answers to questions prepared
by the ezine editorial team from outstanding leaders and achievers
from among FOSS community members.

c. From our Correspondent: To approve well known writers /
contributors as Correspondents to get regular and quality inputs on
various FOSS issues and activities. This could cover hands-on
articles, reviews, events and opinions.

d. Internship Watch: To act as Window of Opportunities for Internship
programs being offered at various organisations.

e. News Headlines with commentary picked up from various forums.

f. Hot Topics: Refernces and summaries of important hot threads in
various on-line mailing lists.

g. Kids Corner: FOSS stuff for kids in the age-group 5-12. Content in
this corner should be reusable by kids themselves as talking points in
their circles / school teachers.

h. Articles:
   i.   Contributed Articles by ilugd members
   ii.  Reference Articles (Articles themslves - reused - not links)
[Most frequently cited type]
   iii. Links to Blogs and other Articles not permitted for reuse,
preferably with summary.

i. LUG ONE: Inspiring activities of various LUGs from around the world.

j. ITCH for FREE SOFTWARE: (To be appropirately titled) The intention
here is to cover areas where there are no good FOSS options. We should
be able to not only locate such areas but also locate projects which
are currently working in such areas and their progress.

k. Corporate Segment: The intention here is to capture FOSS related
developments in various business areas. We could also cover
applications, strategies, policy issues, opportunities in FOSS related
areas.

l. Newbies Section: Articles and resources for newbies.

m. Multi-Media Section: We could cover online resources such as
Tutorial kind Screenshots, Video Tutorials / Resources, Audio
Resources. With the present hosting resources it may be difficult to
host large multimedia content ourselves, but nevertheless it should be
on our agenda. To make a beginning we could start with references.

n. Online Education Courses and other Formal / Non-formal Education
related artcles.

Thats a pretty long wish list. You are requested to add-in your
suggestions and opinions.

Anand Shankar