On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 08:30 +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
[...]
> direct experience:

Thanks for your response. At the moment graphics is less of a priority,
and something where one can add sound and a series of still images is
the highest priority, so I am going to focus on Blender.

[...]
> 2. blender - learning curve very steep - say 6 months of hard work.
> But professional quality

How did you go about learning Blender? When I had tried a long time ago,
online tutorials were hard to find. I see that http://www.blender.org
now seems to have fairly extensive tutorials. Is the book worth buying?

[...]
> 4. scribus - same as above re comparison the pagemaker or quark express

Desktop publishing, especially in Indian languages, is also a separate
area of interest at Sarai, as we put out a fair number of publications.
People are using Scribus, but the biggest problem is that Scribus does
not currently render Indian language text correctly. Apparently it is
in the pipeline for 1.3.6, or so (current CVS is 1.3.4), but given that
it has been promised for over a year, I am not holding my breath. On the
other hand, I understand that neither PageMaker nor Quark Express handle
Unicode.

Regards,
Gora