We seem to have missed this rather major development. Two years ago, MCD
(Municipal Corporation of Delhi) installed linux-based computers in 1000
primary schools, five computers in each. Here is one news item which
provides some details:
http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20061113/market05.shtml

Casual search on Google threw up a few others which have similar content.

It also seems that subsequently more computers were added to the original
5000.

We should find out more about it. Who was behind it? What use are these
computers put to? What has been the experience of two years? Who provides
technical support? Also, how come Microsoft missed the bus, or did it?

And may be we can get somebody from NICT, an NGO that was involved, to come
and talk about it at Freed.

Vikas