A very simple business model that can work for open source gaming
company's...

being open source, implies the source code shall be freely available..
however the company can retain the game data... for example, the Quake
engines have been open source, however... the Quake game data (PAK and PK3
files) are retained by the company... this way u can have an active
community of modders and developers for your game and newer forks, however
your game can make profits, provided its a good game to play...

just my 2 cents :)

Kinshuk

On 10/11/07, Gaurav Mishra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 10/8/07, Saleem Ansari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Vikram
> >

> > Very nice info. I have been  thinking for the last couple of days that
> can
> > one survive in the Gaming Business if the Game's source code is Open
> > Sourced  or GPLed?
> >

> Well firstly it has to be Business done with games rather than Games
> making business, GPL run gaming business make perfect sense in Indian
> market. the traditional gaming industry needs a lot of market research
> and Development and most of times game titles die  after completion
> since launching a game title requires same amount of money that is
> spent on development.
>
> Now if we take my view , i would have gone with modifying current
> available open source games and making it look more indian centric by
> putting Indic taunts and pushing them into the market, because Online
> gaming market in india is still in a nacent stage.
>
> my 2 pennies....
>

> --
> Thanks and Regards
> Gaurav Mishra
>
> Linux User #348873
> ILUGD General Secretary, GZLUG  Moderator
> RKGIT Alumni(Guiding Light)
> Software Engineer , UnitedVillages
> http://gauravmishra.info/blog
> "When i can run , i will run , When i can walk , i will walk, When i can
> crawl , i will crawl. But i will not stop moving forward"

Student, PGD Global Business Operations,
SRCC, Delhi University
http://www.kinshuksunil.co.nr