Anyone other than kinz(cos I already know him lol) doing gamedev?? I
think I know another person as well :D ^^ .. ahem.. ok anyone else?

Open source game development won't work.. but game development using
open source source software will.. let me give you my 2 rupees.. :D

First of all, Quake source files and rest of what John Carmack and Id
gave out, was only after the company made money from them first.. and
it was released under the GPL.. Carmack wanted people to make better
technology and releasing his source code was THE best way to do it and
he knew that very well.. so it was good for the whole, people learned
new techniques.. and wrote there own engines et al.. but if you wanted
to really modify the quake engine, or rewrite it and make games (like
what valve did with half-life) you would still have to license the
engine( you have to license it to sell your games as closed source..)
and + artists(graphic+music et al) are not programmers!! and asking
them to give away artwork is not as easy as u think it is..

Making games is not easy, it requires a lot of manpower in a lot of
different sectors.. a whole range of different programmers and a whole
range of artists.. im not giving u a break up.. but understand this,
that the industry is almost as HUGE as the film industry!! and serious
in every aspect.. making games and playing games are totally
different!!!

basically, dev-ing games(that can stand shoulder to shoulder with
major titles) takes a lot of effort and money, even when you are using
OSS to dev it.. if you are rich enough and have the time, or just feel
like doing it, you can, but there is no profit there.. ( come on now,
don''t give me that look, you would still need some money to pay for
the electric bill! + food! )

so developing games using Open source technology (maybe under the lgpl
~ eg. Ogre3d ) and selling them for a small amount can work..

What else can work? if you are hell bent on releasing your game as
open source software.. Open source MMO's Games can work! why? make a
game that is as solid as warcraft.. and release it to the world for
free.. with free updates and everything.. but they have to pay to play
online on some main servers.. a yearly subscription.. to keep the
servers up.. to keep the developers cloth'd and in pizza.. or you can
sell online content.. et cetera.. real estate.. oh, btw, this is
already happening.. lol..

peace,
yadu

ps: might wanna check this out, its a free multiplayer online non
violent typo game.. you walk around as a stag.. its really nice.. ~
http://tale-of-tales.com/TheEndlessForest/

dA Gallery ~ http://yadu.deviantart.com/gallery
home ~ http://www.theangrypixel.com ~ http://www.theangrypixel.com/forum
LinkedIn ~ http://www.linkedin.com/in/yadurajiv