On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 16:40 +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
[...]
> Now that data and graphs all nice and tidy ... what conclusions are to
> be drawn? Will this improve the list quality or quantity? This thread
> has already done the latter ;-)

Conclusions? I am afraid that conclusions cost extra. For what it
is worth, here are the mean no. of postings per day:
  2005: 10.8 +/- 0.43
  2006:  6.4 +/- 0.26
  2007:  9.8 +/- 0.58
which says that 2005, and 2007 were comparable within errors, but
2006 was clearly lower. I have updated the last graph to show
these averages as horizontal bars.

  One might argue that 2007 was distorted by that huge spike
(probably the Microsoft at Linux-Asia thread), so here are the
numbers throwing out events beyond 5-sigma from the mean:
  2005: 10.7 +/- 0.41
  2006:  6.4 +/- 0.26
  2007:  9.5 +/- 0.49
i.e., not that much of a difference.

  Of course, the fallacy of counting posts to the list as a measure
of quality should be evident from the fact that the Microsoft at
Linux-Asia thread added lots of posts, but very little of value.

Regards,
Gora