files to a folder at the root of the external microSD of the phone.
they transferred, but showed up nowhere on the phone so i could
install the apps.

fyi, i found some interesting freeware apps at allaboutsymbian.com
[no muft and mukt apps, though. sigh!]

finally, tried mucking around with bluetooth. here is the result of my
exploration:

# hcitool dev
correctly lists my bluetooth dongle.

#hcitool scan
then lists out the actual hex address and name of my Nokia E61i

# l2ping <address>
gives me 0 bytes from <address>...
Send failed: Connection reset by peer

# /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf

in the section of Security Manager mode, have set it to
security user; which is to always ask user for a PIN.

the pairing mode is set to 'multi' which is 'allow pairing with
already paired device'.

the default PIN code for incoming connections, you may assume is set to "1234".

in the device section
# Local device class
        class 0xff0100;

linkmode
lm accept

i then
# /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart
just to be sure

meanwhile, i ensure my mobile has bluetooth on, with visibility 'shown
to all' for good measure.

then i type alt+F2 and start kbluetooth
[i don't have kde installed here. this is ubuntu but with
kde-bluetooth installed]

i get a grey-colored kbluetooth on my taskbar.
a left-click opens konqueror, and i see my phone by name.
clicking on it i see 13 files including obex file transfer.

when i click on it, my mobile gets prompted for a PIN, which i enter
correctly. thrice.
yet the pc rejects the password.

conversely, when i scan from my mobile, i do see the pc, and again
when i try to pair, the PIN gets rejected and the pairing doesn't
happen.

here comes the odd part. though the two devices are not paired,
using konqueror or nautilus, i can browse my desktop's filesystem,
right-click any file, and attempt a 'send via bluetooth' to my mobile.
this works. and then some.

mid-way through sending any file, the file-transfer stalls or freezes
at a random point.
after multiple attempts, i successfully managed to get a 64kb file
transferred into my mobile's inbox.

a few days ago, while trying this procedure, i did manage to transfer
much larger files, one even weighing in over a 1MB, without issues.
fyi, have switched off the firewall and anti-virus app on my mobile,
and have set app manager to install all apps and switched off online
certificate check, for good measure.

can't understand why is this not working.
is there a solution? a better way?

fyi, i went through the agonies of trying to get bluez working with my
earlier Nokia6600 circa 2004 to 2006. it was quite an ugly procedure
when i finally got it working to a somewhat buggy state. at that time
i re-assured myself that hopefully by 2007 or so, when i get my next
phone, things would have evolved much further. alas, they haven't, and
i guess we need to let nokia know they need to provide software for
gnulinux as well, else they might just lose out on huge customers
eventually in the BRIC countries.

meanwhile, would appreciate any help you may offer.

:-)
niyam