I would like to know about experiences of people regarding compatibility of
GPRS data cards/usb modems with linux.

I understand that Tata Indicom has usb modems that support linux. They
say so on their website. But I am not too keen to buy a Tata Indicom
connection because of limited geographical coverage.

Other options are BSNL, Airtel and Reliance.

Airtel explicitly claims compatilibility with Windows only. I do not
know if BSNL is giving USB modems at all. I wonder if one could buy GSM USB
modems in the open market and stick in a sim card (Airtel/BSNL). If
yes, which ones are compatible with linux. I know one could buy PCMCIA
data cards in the open market and use with Airtel/BSNL sim.

Which USB modems of Reliance are compatible with linux?

Would appreciate any information.

Vikas