On Jan 2, 2008 7:20 PM, G Karunakar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have been looking to assemble up a PC - primarily to be used for
> 1) Graphics, Photo editing, printing , management, Blender etc.
> 2) Running multiple distro's in Xen (or other virtualization).
>
> So whats a recommended hardware -for motherboard, graphics card,
> Monitor, photo printer etc which are better compatible..
>
> Intel Core 2 Duo or Quad Core / AMD Athlon X2
>   - which specific processor is better to do virtualization (running Xen).
>  the box would run Debian testing/unstable with other distros
> configured through Xen.

Some of the later CPU chipsets come with special hardware which do not
require paravirtualization, or modification of the guest OS in xen.
AMD chipsets has AMD-V (Pacifica), wheras Intel has VT-x (Vanderpool)
extensions. You might want to consider those.

> with ATI/nVidia graphics card (I guess as of now only binary
> propreitry drivers work well).

ATI is on its way to open-source: http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

Eventually it depends on how much money you can put in ;)

--
Goldwyn