Karanbir Singh wrote:

>> 2-4GB RAM
>> 2x320 GB HDD.
>>   - which of cheaper motherboards have SATA RAID?
>
> if you get a quad core, dont touch the h/w onboard sata raid. Just stick
> with linux mdraid. The fact that you retain portability and are more or

I have been having some terrible time with Linux RAID recently on
Ubuntu. I dont like major changes being done on such critical components
without testing.

At first, for some reasons the uuids on one of raid members changed on
its own. I had to cross my fingers and try the solution in this:

Then after I took a backup and rebuilt the RAID, I got hit by this.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mdadm/+bug/125471/comments/4
(4th comment, root NOT on raid but booting into initramfs)

Now I am having serious doubts on using RAID on Ubuntu atleast, and am
thinking of moving the server to either Debian or better still
FreeBSD(better because I suspect the Ubuntu issues might have some
influence from changes in Debian unstable).

How have others Linux RAID experience in recent Linux distros  been?

- Sandip