Jasbir Khehra wrote:
> The Alternate and Server Install cd use the debian installer. And
> these are also official builds from Ubuntu. Yup the 'livecd' doesnt
> have a GUI lvm/md installer.

you might want to keep in mind that most people these days have given up
on text based installs in business / enterprise setups. I am quite sure
most home users dont want to have the hangup of going through a text
installer either. Besides, you are mistaken - there is no integrated
lvm/raid on d-i either. if there is one, point it out to me.

>> Google comes up with these hints :
>> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+install+lvm
>>
>> If thats the process you need to follow, perhaps in 1994 or in 1996 it
>> would have been acceptable. however, things have sort of moved on these
>> days.
> I presume you mean 2004/2006, frankly would like to know more where
> things have moved on these days.

Integrated install setup and even things like install to remote storage
are features that most people *need* these days, not the sort of things
that are nice. And these sort of things have been available for a long
time at various places, I know that Redhat-7.3 had proper raid setup at
installtime - and this is what ? 1999 - 2000.

Ever tried installing ubuntu to an iscsi target running over infiband ?
give it a shot sometime. Let me know how many days it takes you get the
code integrated into an automated install process.

--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/  : [EMAIL PROTECTED]