Bought a webcam yesterday, thought I'd share the experience...

I'd given a long list of supported webcam models to my friendly
neighbourhood hardware pusher, Amit Kalra.  Unfortunately the webcams
that seem to work well with Linux (at least according to Google) seem
to be pretty high priced -- Rs 4000+.  So Amit suggested that I try out
the 2 el cheapo webcams has he had lying around in his office, and
promptly turned up with them.

One was a Quantum QHM500LM, which reportedly supports up to 4 megapixels
with their proprietary drivers.  The other was an HP VGA webcam for
notebooks.

Tried the Quantum webcam first with the gspca drivers.  The cam got
identified, and device /dev/video1 (video0 is my TV tuner card)
created.  Unfortunately all apps I tried just gave me a black screen on
capture.  Switch to the HP cam.  That was even worse -- I couldn't find
drivers for it at all.

Back to Quantum.  Being in a fix, I decided to do some R&D.  Fiddling
about with the Quantum cam, I noticed a small black rubber cap on the
lens.  With the intuition and logical powers of a Sherlock Holmes, I
deduced that this could have been the cause of the black picture.  To
those of you who have closely studied and applied my methods the next
step may be obvious, but let me state it for the record:

You webcam will NOT allow you to view anything until you remove the lens
cap.

Woah!  Remove the cap and I actually see some sort of picture in the
XawTV screen!  Of course, it looks like some sort of ghostly figure
right out of a badly-made Ramsay Brothers movie, but WTH, at least it
works.  Now to fixing the problem.

The kernel gspca module has about 20 parameters that control its
behaviour.  I tried each of them in turn, varying the values to
extremes and back to means.  Unfortunately nothing worked -- the
picture only got messier.  Since I wasn't in the mood for trying out
all possible combinations of options (at least 20 factorial), I put on
my thinking hat and decided, if the first problem (black screen) was
physical, why not this one too?

Ah, the lens of the camera screws in and out.  Oh my $deity, if you
screw the lens in, you actually get a clear picture too!  Now I can see
myself clearly in the XawTV window... I immediately got down to the
most important use of a webcam, setting my hair ;)

Picture quality is adequate.  I get 640x480 with the kernel gspca
drivers, which is quite enough for my needs (now I have to figure out a
use for the cam), and the cam does some automatic adjustment of
exposure depending on what sort of light you are in.  Haven't tried any
advanced applications (streaming, etc.) with it yet, will report
if/when that works.

The command I use for viewing:

xawtv -n -noxv -device /dev/video1

(or video0 if this is the first capture device).  You can also test the
cam in mplayer and ekiga.  Haven't actually tried a video conference
yet, I probably need mode bandwidth for that.

To summarise:

Camera model:           Quantum QHM500LM
Driver:                 Linux gspca (available as a package in the Debian
repository)
USB:                    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0ac8:303b Z-Star
Microelectronics Corp.
ZC0303 WebCam
Kernel messages:
/home/user/linux-modules-extra-2.6/debian/build/build_i386_none_686_gspca/gspca_core.c:

USB GSPCA camera found.(ZC3XX)
/home/user/linux-modules-extra-2.6/debian/build/build_i386_none_686_gspca/gspca_core.c:

[spca5xx_probe:4098] Camera type JPEG
/home/user/linux-modules-extra-2.6/debian/build/build_i386_none_686_gspca/Vimicro/zc3xx.h:

[zc3xx_config:515] Sensor ID:11
/home/user/linux-modules-extra-2.6/debian/build/build_i386_none_686_gspca/Vimicro/zc3xx.h:

[zc3xx_config:607] Find Sensor MI0360
/home/user/linux-modules-extra-2.6/debian/build/build_i386_none_686_gspca/gspca_core.c:

[spca5xx_getcapability:1215] maxw 640 maxh 480 minw 176 minh 144
Cost:                   Rs 650
Ease of use:            Easy (once you install the driver package and take the
lens cap off :)
Issues:                 Video is a bit slow, and lags a bit.
Recommended:            So far, yes.

BTW, note that all webcams reporting USB ID 0ac8:303b aren't the same.
Some will work, some may not, so be sure to test your cam before you
buy for use with Linux.

Feel free to mail any questions you may have to the list.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://kandalaya.org/