Sriram J wrote:
> Can some one tell me what is the positioning of linux as an operating
> system.
> who are target audience/consumers of linux supposed to be.
>
> is it for the general users who want an alternative for windows or the few
> fakirs[1] who put ideology above all and are not willing to compromise at
> any cost.

In the long run, an OS based on ideology is better than one based on the
market. The market is more often than not skewed against customers. If
you call Windows as a hallmark for market drive development, look at how
its latest developments have been. "Market" forces ensured that Vista
was rewritten to satisfy MPAA/RIAA rather than the customers, causing
developments like SDP etc. in effect causing problems like [1]

[1] http://davisfreeberg.com/2008/01/03/bad-copp-no-netflix/

So beware before jumping to conclusions that market driven development
is necessarily better for customers.

There are many many examples for this:
In another case, market driven development caused Microsoft to stop
selling the perfectly usable Windows XP by this month end. It was only
when Vista boomeranged that they had to change their course [2]

[2]
http://www.news.com/Microsoft-extends-Windows-XPs-stay/2100-1016_3-6210524.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

On the other hand, despite the "problem" in usability, there are scores
of instances when idealogy or technology based developments ensured that
FOSS distros gave more predictable and reliable support for users.

Debian's lifecycle policy[3] ensures that even after Etch was released
in 2007, Sarge(the old stable released in 2005) would keep getting
security releases till  2008. Of course, before jumping and comparing
with Windows XP, remember that XP is just an OS, while Debian is an
entire computing ecosystem.

[3] http://www.debian.org/security/faq#lifespan

Ubuntu has an LTS version [4] which  has a support cycle of five years!

[4] http://www.ubuntu.com/news/606released

Not counting Redhat whose commercial support cycle is upto 7 years! [5]

[5] http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/

Yes, new hardware is always going to be a sore point for Linux, but
think of all the people who are using abandoned closed source distros
with no option to upgrade to a version which is maintained and keeps
them safe from known issues.

IMHO, the inconvenience of sticking to a smaller subset of known working
hardware is better than the inconvenience of sticking with an option
where your needs often do not match the dynamics of the market.

- Sandip