[talking about what kids do with laptops]

Linux Lingam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> incidentally, a few years ago i was in khajuraho, and was amazed to
> see children from nearby villages saving precious rupees so they could
> pay rs 15 or whatever it was, to surf the web from a cybercafe in the
> town. i peered over their shoulders for the five or six days i stayed
> there, and noticed these children (and even adults) would surf for
> anything but poPcORN.
> very interesting.
> leads me to conduct a thought-experiment:
> if we erected khajuraho temples in every town and city of the world,
> the current huge load of internet traffic and clogging for such
> material would just disappear. even more importantly, it would be
> fascinating to study what the vast majority of people would love to
> surf for, in their spare time.

I'm sure Niyam knows it, since he saw the place with his own naked,
steaming eyes, so this is just a didactic note for the rest of
you:

The stuff Khajuraho has a reputation for is completely overblown.
It's only the tourism industry that pushes it, making it seem like
a total sleazepit. Sure, you can find it if you search for it.

But Khajuraho is really quite a pretty town, much more decent than Delhi,
inexpensive, with amazingly pretty, well-maintained temples which a prude
can visit without being embarrassed.

Broadband cybercafes everywhere too. Not a bad place for a Delhi coder
to migrate to in winter months for some heavy hacking. Maybe we should
have a fosscamp there sometime?

PJ