If an old PC is available then do try considering Endian Firewall Community
Edition. I have been using it for quite sometime in my office. Works great
as well as unattended and most features are supported out of the box. a few
cyber cafes in my areas have started using it as well and they are pretty
much satisfied with it and its web interface makes it easy for the dumb as
well. And yes it does support load balancing as well.

Regarding HW based thing I guess u may try a hand at Linksys WiFi Router
upgrade their firmware with a linux firmware like DD-WRT and have fun, but I
guess for load balancing you may require two such routers.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3562391

http://www.wrtrouters.com/guides/upgradetolinux/

You may read about a few other such distros at

http://ezinearticles.com/?WRT54g-Linux-Firmware-Distributions&id=118837

Regards

Dhiraj Gaur