On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 16:01, Sandip Bhattacharya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> +++ Puneet Lakhina [20/06/08 13:29 +0530]:
> >>>

> >> To begin with, they are more expensive to recruit, and salaries (that I
> >> last saw) lie somewhere between (and beyond) their inherent capabilities
> >>  and the market rate, if you know what I mean. :) In short, it is more
> >> diffcult for smaller companies and government organizations to compete
> >> with the market for them.
> >>

> >So what you are saying is, get the PHP guy, he is cheap coz nobody wants
> >him, and hel stay coz nobody will want him.
>
> No, I didn't say that. You are putting those words in my mouth.
>
> I gave a very good business context why they might be paid less. But I also
> mentioned that the gap between their availability and Java programmers
> is decreasing.
>
> Why do you thing that is happening? That is because more
> and more organizations are catching on to the cost-effectiveness of LAMP
> solutions - the quick turn around that it can give them, the shorter
> learning curve for people wanting to enter the field, the ease in which
> a LAMP solution can be maintained as compared to a Java one, etc.

Shorter learning curve argument doesnt hold, I dont see why for an average
person it would be easier to learn PHP instead JSP/Servlets. or why it would
be difficult to set up tomcat over apache with mod php.

> Also with regards to salary, yes, LAMP programmers might be under-paid
> as compared to Java ones. People will have find exceptions to what I am
> saying here, but this has been true for many small to medium scale
> Java applications that I have seen:
>
>  They are over-engineered.

This I whole heartedly agree with, Java applications at time are over
engineered.

> If a small database app can be made in 2-3
> scripts running on a low end server in LAMP, it will require a more
> powerful computer, a longer development cycle, more expensive developers
> and a more complex app  (Tomcat/Jboss/etc) if it is done in web based
> Java applications.

If you look at it, that in no way is java's fault. If all you want is a 10
page website, you are free to use only JSPs, no framework nothing. Java
doesnt prevent you from keeping it simple. Its just that there are too many
people flashin names of *framework to do this/that.

> This stays true for quite a few applications if you
> go higher up in the app complexity scale. Given this context, it is
> probably more apt to say that Java programmers are over paid for the
> value they create as compared to LAMP programmers, and the market would
> soon take care of this anomaly (and it already is).
>
> Please take all my opinions with a grain of salt though, as my last
> experience
> with Java apps (though intensive) was quite a few years ago.

Cant help but take with a pinch of salt am a java programmer myself :-) .

> - Sandip
>

> --
> Sandip Bhattacharya
> http://blog.sandipb.net