On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Puneet Lakhina
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 22:44, Anupam Jain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Tomcat is not a production capable server.
>
> Umm why exactly? These unqualified statements arent really helpful.
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/PoweredBy

Ok I revise my statement. If it suits your requirements, you may well
deploy Tomcat on production setups, but in my few years in J2EE
development, I have never encountered a reasonably sized company
opting to do so. I haven't handled a full J2EE development project for
some time now so things may have changed.

>> And standalone jsps cannot
>> hope to compare with stadalone php pages so it's not a fair
>> comparison.
>

> Could you please elaborate here? I dont know too much PHP, this would be
> really helpful.

This I standby, though I will not claim having kept up to date on J2EE
to be able to indulge in a detailed point by point comparison. Jsps
are crippled without a servlet or two thrown in. On top of that Jsp
development requires you to keep in mind that jsps are ultimately
servlet objects themselves running in a "container" with a "lifecycle"
which has it's own nuances to take care of, requiring a bit of an
effort to get advanced functionality out of Jsps (Request and response
objects?? Once you get to echo "whatever", you will not go back).

Also, from what I have experienced, the most painful aspects of jsps
come from the fact that Java is unsuitable as a scripting language. It
just doesn't fit in the quick and dirty web development model and
starts to get on your nerves after a while.

Lastly, many supposedly cool jsp features require you to break out of
jsps and into to-the-metal coding (e.g. custom tags).

-- Anupam