On Wednesday 16 Jul 2008, Puneet Lakhina wrote:
> 1) Why dont services like Gmail understand PGP encrypted messages and
> decrypt them? Has this got something to do with export regulations on
> encyrption software?

Because the mail service does not have your PGP private key, which is
needed for decrypting PGP-encrypted messages.  And if it did, the whole
point of PGP (end-user validation/privacy of messages) would be lost.

> 2) If i send a PGP encrypted message to the mailing list with my
> PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- blocks is it ok? Will a user using
> gmail/yahoomail be able to read my messages? If yes then how does it
> happen? Does the mailing list server do the decryption? If yes, does
> that mean I receive clear text mails even though someone wanted to
> send an encrypted message?

Why would you send an encrypted message to a mailing list?

> My main reason for this newly accquired paranoia about email privacy
> is that I dont want my email admin to be reading my mails, even if
> they are to the mailing list. Is PGP the right thing for this?

Once again, if you're going to send an encrypted message to a mailing
list, don't send it.  Are you confused about what PGP does and why/how
to use it?

> One more thing? Is it possible to encrypt the subject also?

Theoretically, yes.

Regards,

-- Raju
--