Raj Mathur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Because the mail service does not have your PGP private key, which is
> needed for decrypting PGP-encrypted messages.  And if it did, the whole
> point of PGP (end-user validation/privacy of messages) would be lost.

Indeed.

Plus google likes mining e-mail data, so in principle they wouldn't want to
encourage storage of encrypted mail on their systems.

That said, there are some plugins for firefox that let you encrypt and decrypt
google mail in the browser. I am unsure if it gets past the issue of google's
rather aggressive draft caching during composition though.

> > My main reason for this newly accquired paranoia about email privacy
> > is that I dont want my email admin to be reading my mails, even if
> > they are to the mailing list. Is PGP the right thing for this?

Maybe. Depends where the e-mail admin is in the pipeline.

Maybe get a paid consultation from someone to look at the details if you
are that worried. Else you'll get often get pointed to self-study such issues.
Your issues may not just be solvable using pgp/gpg alone - you may need to have
a good look at the processes and the reasoning behind it by a security
consultant. But it depends how paranoid you are.

PJ