On Thursday 28 Aug 2008, Raj Mathur wrote:
> looking at the Compaq Presario C797VU (~Rs 35K):
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329742-8
>9318-89318-3466274-3739779.html

Can't comment on the above model but my brother owns a 2 yr old Compaq
laptop no hardware issues so far.  On the Linux side, not been able to
get the ATI 200M express 3D working (with binary blob).  WiFi is
Broadcom.  Works with Ubuntu 8.04.

> In a nutshell, it's a Core2 Duo, 2GB of RAM, widescreen (ugh!)
> 1280x800 resolution (ugh!), 160GB disk, standard WiFi, Ethernet, DVD
> writer, card reader, etc.

If all devices are based off Intel chipset, chances are very high
everything will work out of box with latest release of Linux distros.

> Oh, and it comes with FreeDOS installed -- no Winduhs tax.

35K seems to be a bit high given no M$ tax.

> Anyone have any experience good/bad/ugly with this machine?  Any
> other recommendations?

If your use is intermittent and not heavy duty work, then I suggest the
netbooks - lighter and more mobility.  The price points likely to drop
after Sep/Oct when more brands come into the market.  The new ASUS
eeePC is @ 32K with XP Home tax.

--
Arun Khan