On Friday 19 September 2008 12:43:06 narendra sisodiya wrote:
> Hey, I got a idea that "can we GPL our ideas" ??
> Like normally I use to get a large number of ideas which I will not
> able to implement in this life. But I want somebody should implement
> those ideas. But I do not want that somebody should use them as
> patent or propitiatory work. infact if Ideas are in GPL public domain
> then everybody is allowed to implement it. So in the current licence
> schemes , "can i publish my ideas under GPL or similar licence".
> for example , let suppose I will a rocking idea for energy saving
> system and will tell the way of implement it,But i will not implement
> it, I want other companies to implement it.
> So is it possible to deliver the rocking ideas in public domain
> insuring that it will not be used for patent or similar purpose??

IANAL.

First of all, public domain is equivalent to no licence at all, and
could probably only theoretically prevent software patents. The only
way to *ensure* that it cannot be patented is someone going through
every patent application from this day onwards to check if it matches
any of your ideas in the public domain. Of course, it is not practical
and so you can stop thinking on this line. :)

Also, unless your idea is overtly visible, you can never ensure that it
is not hidden by implementations protected by trade secrets.

My suggestion would be that, if you really interested in the world
benefiting from your ideas, to worry less about who can exploit it and
instead just go ahead and publish it in some way. The form of
publishing(books, art,etc.) could be copyrighted and put in public
domain or some of the creative common licenses.

What you should worry about is how to disseminate it as much as possible
(and therefore it is important you use as liberal a distribution
licence as possible) as the more widespread it becomes, the better
protection it will get against some one trying to patent it in some
way.

- Sandip

P.S. The world of patents is full of "jugaads"(we call them hacks,
BTW ;) ). So don't let it stop you. :)