On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:44 PM, devesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was not aware of the fact that my 'small' email(reply) will ignite a fire
> around the "mailing-list...where we talk about 'FOSS'".  I have looked into
> every response and would like to add 'something'. I don't know how this
> mail
> gonna be relevant to list/topic/FOSS etcetera.
>

> Lets talk about Hindi, first:
> I have completed my study up to 10th standard in 'Hindi only' and i had not
> seen a computer before/till 10th. After completion of my B.Tech in
> Computers, I didn't find any reason to code in 'Hindi'. May I be wrong?
> Well, the scenario says something else. I put my Linux machine at my home
> in
> a small 'village...where people know only Hindi'. Most of them had never
> seen computer before(like me). But when i told them in 'Hindi' how to
> operate, they were able to do small things like gaming, painting, music,
> etcetera.

Yes My dear, I am totally word to word agree to your mail. I have focused on
these points in my last mail,
* writing software with hindi/bangla keywords in not a useful task and will
make gap between us.

* making software with hindi interrface may be useful to some papulation but
still they can work with english interface software, provide we have given
good teaching to them.

* but Making content (in hindi or Hinglish) which tell how to use computer
as tool will be best for all such Indian,

Our major foucs should be over the 3rd point. Think computer as tool. Think
again on our direction of effort. We have limited effort and time.

> Some of them, even, didn't know to write their names in Hindi/English, but
> know very well how to put 'password' into machine. That shows how they
> people are compatible with 'technology'. I believe in the fact that a
> 'meduim' is always required to flow 'anything' (refer Einstein) . Here, the
> 'medium' is 'language' (either Hindi or English) and the 'matter' is
> 'technology'.

Even my nephew can openrate computer at some level, and he do not know
english,
And I saw, one desktop manager in hindi,. For working with hidni Deskhop, I
need to take a hindi to english dictionary . Those Hindi words were very
difficult for me and nobody use in common language ..
what will you say now, having such localized software is useful??

My nephew work mostly on compyter by the help of indentifying icons.. How a
text matter in the case we are highly addictive to GUI.

> So, I must say we should take these two things in two different ways.
> However I have no hard feeling towards 'Localization', in fact, I have been
> working on Urdu Localization(from JMI/Sarai).
>
> Now lets observe the facts:
> Case 1. When both medium and technology are in 'English'. (people are
> local)
>            Work-done = work (to understand the medium) + work ( to
> understand the technology)
>            Throughput =  most/???
>            Time = lesser
>
> Case 2. When medium is 'local' and technology is in 'English'. (people are
> local)
>            Work-done = work ( to understand the technology)
>            Throughput = most/lesser
>            Time = least

I will prefer to go with case 2 / 1 but not case 3

--
┌───[ Narendra Sisodiya ]──────────────┐
│ http://narendra.techfandu.org │