Sudhanwa wrote:
> Are we talking about something like this?
> http://vidagdha.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/programming_in_marathi/

That looks interesting. I had earlier heard of Marathi BASIC
http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?17000000037039

However, Hindawi is not really just one programming language. We define it as
complete in a very programming language sense; i.e. it is completely
bootstrappable, or can be written in Hindawi set of languages itself. Hindawi
provides assembly, C, lex and yacc. This combination can be used to implement
any other programming language. Ref http://www.hindawi.in/en_US/faq.php

There are many other factors already mentioned in my mail earlier today "Mother
tongue based programming languages", please also read that, if you have already
not done so. For instance one interesting component of Hindawi is a FOSS
replacement of the GIST card, that is completely software based and does not
use graphics mode to simulate text mode for Indic scripts.

> IIRC, one of my friend Somesh (http://guruvision.in) had written
> complete C programming (I think using turbo C interface) way back in
> 2001. ... http://blog.guruvision.in/?page_id=6

Again this is very interesting. Please do provide us with more information
about this. The Sakaal article is not very detailed. I am interested in knowing
what were the results like what all was localised - comments only, or also
keywords; could variable names be used in Marathi; if yes then were there any
restrictions; what about namespace pollution; could the Marathi C be translated
back into traditional C (I assume yes); what was the level of compatibility
with exisiting set of libraries? One very important question, that you have
yourself mentioned is what is its current state?

It will be great if you can convey my questions to Somesh. I believe there will
be many others on this list interested in these answers, else I would have
preferred to take it offline.

Regards,
Abhishek Choudhary MSc MA MA BBA
Chartered IT Professional(UK) MBCS(UK) MIET(UK) MIEEE SrMCSI
Pune, INDIA
WWW: http://cognitist.com
Email:

Affiliations: AAAI, ACM, BCS, CogSci, CSI, IEEE (CS/ComSoc/NNS/RAS/SMCS/VTS),
IET, INCOSE, SAE

"From Assembly to Lisp in your mother tongue"
http://hindawi.in