On Wednesday 01 October 2008 22:22:11 Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         So, it is software that helps to provide a service. That
> piece of software is non-free. I think that matters.
>
>         Whether the software runs as a one shot unix like
> input/output filter, or it generates web pages, or it is daemonized
> and
>  handles requests (like, say, an X Windows server), it is still a
>  computer program that runs and manipulated bits. If it is not free
>  software, it is like any other free to use closed source software.
>
>         And having the major original pieceof software Ubuntu writes
>  being closed source  matters, whether it is or is not a daemon. Free
>  software is not about it being free to use. It is about it being
> free to modify and distribute.

* Any particular reason why nobody from Debian or elsewhere has actually
  cribbed about RHN not being open source?

* Leaving aside Launchpad, do you seriously believe that whenever
someone writes a web application to provide a service to people, the
author is obliged to spend time trying to package it as a general
purpose software which can be reused by others for other kind of
applications?

- Sandip