2008/10/5 M.S.Yatnatti CEO KPN UNLIMITD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>You.the article title is : Is it illegal to redistribute RHEL?.Published in
>september 2008.

CentOS redistribute RHEL, but with a different name. This is exactly
similar to Debian distributing Firefox with a different name (Ice
Weasel). Even though Debian calls it Ice Weasel, it is still Firefox,
except for the name (and some small changes to use some dependencies
from debian repo instead of a copy that comes with firefox).

Oracle also redistribute RHEL
http://www.oracle.com/technologies/linux/index.html

> I am very much thankful for your meaningful and cool discussion.But I
> respectfully differ to your meaning of RHEL is an aggregation of GPL

So do you think RHEL is a derivative work? If so tell us your
definition of derivative work.

> "A
> compilation of a covered work with other separate and
> independent
> works, which are not by their nature extensions of the
> covered work,
> and which are not combined with it such as to form a
> larger program,
> in or on a volume of a storage or distribution
> medium, is called an
> "aggregate" if the compilation and
> its resulting copyright are not
> used to limit the access or legal
> rights of the compilation's users
> beyond what the individual works
> permit. Inclusion of a covered work
> in an aggregate does not cause
> this License to apply to the other
> parts of the aggregate."
>
> The
> above paragraph is self explanatory. But I respectfully differ on to
> your meaning of aggregation.

This clearly shows you have not read the GPL even once, even after I
requested you to read, and quoted a relevant section directly from
it.That was not my meaning of aggregation. That is the definition of
aggregate work that "GPL" itself understands.

> My Meaning of aggregation
> :In any Linux distribution compilation  is called an aggregation of
> GPL software(covered work) and separate and independent works  (Linux
> Based Commercial non GPL Software). Inclusion of a covered work in an
> aggregate does not cause this License to apply to the other parts of
> the aggregate means other separate and independent works  ."
> other separate and independent works means any other commercial Linux
> based software included in the distribution does not have to be GPL..With
> Regards .

I respect you have a different meaning of aggregation. But it does not
matter as far as GPL is concerned. The authors of GPL have clearly
defined what an aggregate means and what are the requirements needed
to include a covered work under GPL. There is nothing you can do about
it.

What you can do is to write a new license (please call it a different
name and not confuse it with GPL) with your meaning of aggregation.
And release any code you hold copyright to with that license. But I
would request you not to create another license and make it impossible
for people to use code from one project in another.

Even if Red Hat did violate GPL, you cannot do anything about it as
long as they are not violating code that you hold copyright.

Still if you believe Red Hat violated GPL, you can inform the authors
of any of the GPL covered program that Red Hat includes about it. That
is all you can do. But you can't expect this kind of spoon feeding or
coolness from them.

So as a conclusion you have two choices,

1) Write to any or all of copyright holders of GPL programs Red Hat
distributes and forget about it.
2) Just forget about it and move on.

Thanks a lot for listening. With this I'm concluding my participation
in this thread. I appreciate you keenness in learning. I understand it
is a complex issue and many things are not obvious as it looks. It was
a learning for me too.

Wish you good luck.

Cheers
Praveen