> - Updates and upgrades used to be a major issue, at least till some time
> back.  Upgrading a Knoppix installation was next to impossible (as some
> people on this list can testify).  Considering the daily increasing
> need for security, having an OS that can't be upgraded is not option.
> Of course, things may have changed since the last time I looked at
> Knoppix, in which case this becomes a non-issue.
>
> Similarly, installing a package that is not available on the base
> Knoppix DVD image could become a major problem.

Its possible to upgrade the hard disk installed image as mentioned
earlier in 5.3.1.
 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Installer). Upgrading is synced
with debian lenny/sid
So update and getting new packages can be done with debian repos. (In
my experience
doing update with debian testing is preferrable).
Knopper's customisations may get lost due to package update though.
Upgrading option is
also similar. I mentioned it in context of a person who need not
upgrade like they do with a certain
distro only getting occassional "dis-service" packs. I am basically
recommending it for non-techies
who want things working out of the box, no headache of synaptic
manager since so many softwares
including those for development + special purposes available by default.

For those inclined there is nothing better than a vanilla
debian/slackware distro of course.
Regards
Gajendra