Hi Parijat, Group,

Please see my reply embedded in quoted text.

> >> /dev/sdd1:
> >>  Timing cached reads:   1664 MB in  2.00 seconds = 831.30 MB/sec
> >>  Timing buffered disk reads:   18 MB in  3.15 seconds =   5.72 MB/sec

hmmm.. even I have seen this scenario happen.

> FYI, (and this might not mean much), from
> http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm
>
> "USB 2.0 has a raw data rate at 480Mbps, and it is rated 40 times
> faster than its predecessor interface, USB 1.1, which tops at 12Mbps."

Yup... that is it--  when it was happening; then after a lot of digging a
resident hacker-guru figured out and proved that it was running at USB 1
data-rates-- for whatever reason.

What kinda comp are you using Parijat ? Is it a laptop by any chance ?
If it's a laptop-- then often, all the USB ports are not USB-2-- sometimes
in laptops, one or more ports are USB 1 or USB 1.1 -- maybe it's for for
older USB keyboards, mouse etc OR whatever other reason-- but it may be a
good idea to first cross-check--- that the port to which you are attaching
is a USB 2 port.

Aint sure if that'll help.... but that's what I've seen.

Best Regards,

NS