Linux Lingam wrote:
wow! karanbir, that's an eye-opener. i was not aware of sager-ratna or clevo.
googled this:
http://www.xoticpc.com/index.php

why not get in touch with sagernotebook.com and ask them directly if they are aware of anyone selling their kit in India ?

pretty neat. a desktop-workstation really, that you could lug around
with 30-minutes of backup and a shoulder-ache.

since we would normally need to carry that, and another 2 laptops with power supplies and other stuff, we just used something like this :

http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2101_2105&products_id=16966

have discovered a few of these monsters, but none obviously with linux
pre-installed.

do you want linux preinstalled for hardware compatibility check or to not pay the MS tax ? in case its the latter, you might be able to get a refund, or just not pay for it upfront. Vendor dependant.

to get a laptop that handles extreme crunching of pixels, stores
bucketloads of them, speed-demons through multi-track live recording,
and all this using, say, ubuntustudio, would be thrilling.

humm... perhaps. But most people find it more convenient to have a 'parked' crunching setup, and only use the laptop as a front end. Since traditional hardware formats are much more 'upgrade' friendly and always a couple of steps ahead of the laptop curve ( eg, 4 GB ram in a desktop machine, with 4 cores is now 'baseline', where as baseline laptops are nowhere near ), it means longer life and higher return on investment with that. Besides, its hard to go anywhere and not have network access from a portable device....

one of the most common problems with most commodity hardware is with
digitizing audio. the internal circuitry may generate 'noise' as
people don't really care about shielding and isolation.
getting 3d graphics cards to natively work a 100% with
full-functionality under linux is another unix|pipe dream.

I might have agreed with you on this a few years back, but given that most large scale studios are now either completely linux based, or moving to be linux based - I'd think atleast someone has solved these issues.

--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/
GnuPG Public Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc

  • [ilug... Linux Lingam
    • ... Dinesh Shah (દિન ેશ શાહ/द िनेश शाह)
    • ... Karanbir Singh
      • ... Linux Lingam
        • ... Karanbir Singh
          • ... Chirag Anand