hi Gaurav,

Gaurav Mishra wrote:
have you actually made contact with that person ? have you given that person
reasonable amount of time to respond  ?
What's the reasonable amount of time ?, 2 months is a good one IMO

yeah, I would agree that 2 months is plenty. Specially since, as you say, the person has been active in this timeframe on the same forums and lists where you posted the query. I guess report a reminder and in there say something to the effect of : I'd like to push my changes out, would you prefer a patch or should I setup a parallel tree / build and you can pull from there if you like.

If he/she does not come back with anything, setting up a parallel SCM repository and open up to community feedback / builds etc would be one way to go. That way you dont really fork the project, just make it more community friendly.

Do you intend to keep the same name for the codebase / project ? That might involve more of a dialog with the original author.

The project doesn't have a devel mailing list or a sorceforge/github
kinda account and even a published svn. No collabration at all.

Perhaps that would be the first thing to target then :)

Well the last release is 6 months old (Which is fine), He is still
replying to forums where i have posted the question of helping in
development of project. Hope he responds.

You also have the option of pushing patched builds right now... you dont really need to wait for a response indefinitely.

My question is more on what are the stuff that a person should take
care while forking a project !, The way i want to take this project
may be completely different from what he is planning (and this is fine
, because this is my need) , What should a person do so that he/she
can get proper valuation for the previous work he/she has done.?

Make sure you dont antagonise the person - to some level the person will feel it, but thats ok. Make sure you clearly state why you are doing what you are doing ( eg: you wanted certain functionality that isnt in the othe code base, and there is little or no interest from $originalAuthor to incorporate ), and try to stay community friendly. If you come down to the level of where 'you' want the project to go Vs where 'he' wanted the project to go - you are not improving the situation any. Build a timeline and milestone projections -then let people contribute whatever they might want.

In terms of valuation - given them the right credits they deserve.

btw what project is this ?

- KB