On Saturday 18 Apr 2009, Harish Pillay wrote:
> > Even simpler solution for the G**gle-challenged: if it's from
> > A****le, don't buy it because they go out of their way to prevent
> > FOSS from interoperating with their products.
>
> Curious: how do they do that?

Some examples:

Circa 2004: A****le threatens sarovar.org (the Indian sourceforge.net
equivalent) with legal action if they do not remove playfair, an open
source iT*nes recording program from their web site.  Sarovar
capitulated and playfair was removed, despite public opinion that they
should not bow to arm-twisting tactics over laws that have little or no
provenance in India.  A****le had earlier forced Sourceforge to remove
playfair.

Circa 2007: A****le modifies the new iP*d to prevent FOSS programs from
synching the playlist.  Even though the encryption/hash used was
reverse engineered pretty quick by the community, it was still a
deliberate move by A****le to prevent any software except iT*nes and
any OS except Cr*pOS and Winduhs from accessing the device.  To quote:
``The new hardware limits the number of potential customers for
A****le's products, adding engineering cost to a device in order to
reduce its functionality. It's hard to understand why A****le would do
this...''.

Circa 2008, continuing: The iPh*ne will not permit any III-party FOSS
applications to be installed without voiding the warranty.
Specifically, you cannot compile your own version of an existing FOSS
application that runs on the iPh*ne (do any?) and install it on your
phone without voiding the warranty.

<rhetoric>
In general I find A****le's mania for controlling their users unsettling
at best, and menacing at worst.  This is probably far at variance with
current thinking, which seems to advocate the best product for a
problem regardless of the provenance of that product.  Yes, A****le
make great computers; similarly, everyone in the erstwhile Soviet Union
had a home to live in too.  However if the choice is between having a
home with Big Brother watching my every move, deciding where I live and
limiting what I can do on the one hand, and being homeless and free to
do what I want and stay wherever I desire on the other... well, just be
sure to drop a one-rupee coin in the bowl when you see me at the Nehru
Place crossing :)
</rhetoric>

Regards,

- -- Raju