> http://en.flossmanuals.net/gnulinux

I'll try not to criticize the article too heavily, but there seem to
be some glaring mistakes.

1. "Further, you can schedule scripts to occur at a specific time or
date or at the occurrence of a specific event on your computer"
Bad example. How does cron, at, or anacron have anything to do with
CLI? I can ask it to play a track in Amarok.

2. "Ever tried to do anything remotely like that by using a Graphical
User Interface?"
Firstly, you haven't quoted any mindblowing examples of CLI
functionality that cannot be done using GUI. Scheduling? I'm pretty
sure there are plenty of graphical schedulers/ sophisticated alarms
for Linux. Batch resizing images? Gimp comes with a scripting language
called Script-Fu which can easily do this. More and more applications
(yes, GUI applications) are coming out with extensibility and
scripting frameworks. I just quoted Gimp as one example. AutoCAD uses
a dialect of Lisp as its extension language, and the elephant in the
room Emacs is mostly written in Emacs Lisp. A shell scripting language
like ZSH's is no different- it's a language, that's all.

3. "There are many commands you can use to check every facet of your
computer's health, from the amount of space left on the hard drive to
the temperature of the CPU"
I wouldn't cite this as something that you can do from the command
line. It's like saying that `df -h' or `cat cat
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature' is more "useful" than a
graphical monitor like Conky or GNOME applets that do the same thing.

4. "There is one other interesting feature of command line interfaces
that GUIs can't match: interaction over a network."
I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of remote desktop projects for
Linux. Forget all that: I use `ssh -X' all the time. I don't want
users to have the impression that they can't run their graphical
applications over the network.

5. "Well, those that know how can connect to the computer in the next
room via the command line and type halt."
Bad example. If you're looking to get Windoze converts, this'll give
them the completely wrong picture. They'd expect something like the
remote desktop they use in Windoze to `Start > Shutdown'. The worst
part is that such a remote desktop exists, but you're scaring away/
misguiding users by telling them this.

6. "GUI programs often send more error messages to the CLI, than they
show in dialog boxes, this is useful to diagnose problems"
Er. If you're looking to diagnose why a certain program didn't start
when you clicked a menu item, it's useful. But otherwise, no- it's
useless. Many programs today come with a compile flag to generate a
stripped down verbose executable for debugging. The output to CLI of a
normally compiled graphical application is practically useless- you
see, it's an optimization technique; if you keep tracing and printing
useful debugging symbols from the program, it's going to slow down
significantly.

On a closing note, I think your approach of creating this huge barrier
between CLI and GUI, and advocating the use of CLI is just plain
wrong. Instead, you should be embracing both "worlds" (Yes, that's the
word used in the article- GUI and CLI are apparently worlds apart),
and concentrate on writing something useful.

p.s- There's a reason all "newbie Linux" tutorials suck. They're
written by beginners themselves. Experts can't be bothered to write
one. Yes, it's a problem; but I see no solution ahead until people
stop writing `cookbooks' of new Linux commands.

--
Artagnon (.com)