On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Ramkumar R <artag...@gmail.com> wrote:
[Er]
> I'm a GNU/Linux user myself and it is in my interest to see that the
> community produces good work and grows. Please don't take my criticism
> of the Introduction section in the wrong sense- I'm not trying to be a
> snob and trash the pieces of work that the community produces.
> Ofcourse, a huge amount of effort has gone into compiling this work.
> Needless to say, I appreciate the work that has gone into preparing
> this. All I'm doing is listing a few of my observations on the
> Introduction section. I'm sorry if I seem overly critical or
> condescending.
>
> About my p.s, I'll maintain that "newbie Linux" tutorials suck. It's
> like I criticize GIt cheatsheets- they don't teach you a thing about
> Git, but supposedly claim to get you up and working in a few minutes.
> They exist because there's a demand for them. It's difficult to write
> good books- I passed out of school three years ago and I know what it
> is to be brought up being taught Turbo C++ from Sumita Arora. And then
> being taught C again in first year of college using books like "Let us
> C". They exist because it's a "quick-and-dirty" route- students don't
> want to break their heads over K&R, they simply want to pass the exam.
>
> My point is simple: I think there's a better way to teach the user how
> to user Linux. Use my email as an excuse to produce more pure and less
> `cookbook' work. I hope you'll use this example as an inspiration- I
> wrote it in my first year of college to teach my friends pointers in
> C: http://artagnon.com/static/cellophanesheet.pdf

Thanks for clearing it up. Then you must also understand that if you
are murdering then prepare to be killed in return.

Yes there are better ways to teach people and if its not being done
there is no point in acting all high and mighty about it by just
posting reviews and claiming to be a source of inspiration. After your
first review (which could have been gentler) you could just very well
go and contribute it yourself rather than writing the second reply or
wait until someone actually improves it. Claiming that advanced users
"cannot be bothered to" is adding just another elitist attitude to
quite a few out there.

The point: You will not seem like a source of inspiration when your
mails make you look like a jerk. While your intentions are good,
please convey them properly. You are not the only one who is busy but
still trying to contribute.

Thanks but no thanks
Nandeep